Re: [Gnu-arch-users] newbie questions about tagging

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] newbie questions about tagging
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 15:06:14 -0800

On Nov 11, 2003, at 13:34, Carlos Pereira wrote:

2) I have about 300 files in my (GPL) app, shall I use the --names
method just to start learning, importing and preparing my first
repositories, or do I have to add tags to all these files before
having even a glimpse of how Arch works?

I rather like tagline, but probably split between that (with untagged source as junk) and explicit for most of my projects. I'm really uncomfortable with not being in control of what goes into my revision control system.

3) How wise is it to start with a given tagging method and then
later change everything to, say, the recommended tagline method?
(I suppose it is not possible/recommended to have different files
tagged with different methods)?

I've converted a few projects from explicit to tagline after they've been going for a while. I lost a file in the confusion once (I didn't update before I started, and had to do a merge, but it was still in the older version), and I had a tree get all weird once and had to check it out again. Overall, I don't really fear it doing a lot of damage if you're doing it carefully.

5) In the tagline method I suppose I have to add a tag to each file,
typically at the beginning. Could someone post some examples of good
taggingsystems, showing the exact line to insert in the source files?

        I do this for .c and .h files:

#!/bin/sh

makeTag() {
        echo ""
        echo "/*"
        echo " * arch-tag: `uuidgen`"
        echo " */"
}

for i in "$@"
do
        echo "Tagging $i"
        makeTag >> "$i"
done

6) How can I tag directories in the tagline method?
(Reading the mailling list archives, it seems that
tags must be added explicitly?)

        Right, explicitly.

7) I understand that using tags to describe files
is a good thing, for example to track down a file moved
to a different directory or renamed. But what happens if
later I come to the conclusion that I should improve the
way I tag my files... which means changing all the tags...
Arch can still compare the new files with the old ones?
or do I have to start a new archive/tree from scratch
and forget the old repositories?

You won't have to worry about improving the way you tag files if you start with random stuff (uuidgen, etc...).

Finally a suggestion, it would be nice to have a single
.ps file of the manual, say, by converting the .html files
of the manual online to latex and building a postscript file
from there,

        It sounds like you've already done this work.  :)

--
Dustin Sallings