[Gnu-arch-users] Re: newbie questions about tagging

From: Stig Brautaset
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: newbie questions about tagging
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 23:14:59 +0000

On Nov 11 2003, Charles wrote:
> > repositories, or do I have to add tags to all these files before
> > having even a glimpse of how Arch works?
>
> You should be able to add explicit tags to all your files very easily --
> something like:
> tla inventory --untagged | gawk '{print $2}' | xargs tla add

You may want to use the --both flag to inventory so that source
directories are added too.

Alternatively:

        tla inventory --both --names --source | xargs tla add

> > 5) In the tagline method I suppose I have to add a tag to each file,
> > typically at the beginning. Could someone post some examples of good
> > taggingsystems, showing the exact line to insert in the source files?
>
> Adding something like "/* tag: <uuidgen output>\n*/" is a fairly good
> call.

Note that current releases of arch now use "arch-tag:" instead of
simply "tag:". The date when the file was added is another good
alternative.

BTW, I prefer my taags at the end of the file, not the start. They tend
to be a bit more out of the way there.

> > 6) How can I tag directories in the tagline method?
> > (Reading the mailling list archives, it seems that
> > tags must be added explicitly?)
>
> "find . -type d | xargs tla add"?

Or, using arch:

        tla inventory --directories --names | xargs tla add

Stig
--
brautaset.org