Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: Slavery???

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: Slavery???
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 22:22:52 +0900

    Andrew> [I'm not sure what rationale led you to this question]

* "Why bother?"?

It's entirely unclear why you would present an anarchist position
here, as it legitimizes DRM in particular and all forms of information
hoarding in general.  Sure, it legitimizes DRM-breaking, too, but
where the stakes are high there's always the ASP route.  This thread
(at least on my side) is about the rationale _for_ free software in an
environment where the state may legitimately enforce it.  I'd be happy
to talk about anarchy and free software, but it's a different thread.

* "Is the right to copy 16 lines of code on a par with the Inalienable
  Rights to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness?"?

I hoped that given a specific question, I might learn something if Tom
would answer it thoughtfully.  That one was pretty random, except that
the "contracts vs. free software" issue turns on the inalienability of
the latter right.