Re: [Gnu-arch-users] unmatched files

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] unmatched files
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:42:52 -0500

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 15:22, Robert Collins wrote:

> customing tla's defaults needs to be done for the general case, not for
> one specific combination of tools. (And yes, they are very popular, but
> they aren't the general case)

The general case is software that already has its own methods of doing
stuff like 'make dist'.  The amount of software which is

1) Written after arch/tla was created
2) Is willing to depend completely on it
3) Is fine with having tla inventory --source as a poor man's
implementation of "make dist".

Is just going to be very, very small.  On the other hand, the amount of
software which not all of those conditions hold is overwhelmingly huge.

I just don't think the current explicit default with such strict
inventory makes any sense at all.