Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: Lisp

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: Lisp
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 10:56:41 -0800

On Nov 20, 2003, at 5:38, Colin Walters wrote:

Another language that's good to learn just for learning (and isn't quite
"mainstream") is Objective Caml.  It's a very cool language too; the
compiler is amazing.  But unlike Scheme and CL, I do occasional
programming in OCaml for real work.

I'll have to second ocaml. It's displacing python as a general purpose language for me. It doesn't ship with the library of tools python does[0], but inferred static typing means not having to wait until your program's been running for a couple of hours to realize you passed the wrong variable to a function under a specific condition (that was killing me in both a python and scheme version of an app I was working on).

It's also insanely fast. I'm used to high level languages sacrificing speed for ease of use. ocaml gives a good deal of both.

[0]: Supposedly you can use perl libraries with it, but I'm not sure about that idea just yet.

--
Dustin Sallings