Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: Lisp

From: Samuel A. Falvo II
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: Lisp
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 10:24:46 -0800

On Thursday 20 November 2003 02:13 am, Bruce Stephens wrote:
> > It also leaves me with the impression that lisp is primarily the
> > domain of language tinkering as opposed to being a productive tool,
> > especially if the language is constantly morphing.

Based on my informal research, Lisp is apparently used heavily in the
field of telecommunications, especially in telephone switch equipment.

The morphability of a language is not a hinderance, but an explicit
feature.  It lets you describe and solve the problem in the terms and
context of the problem itself.  There is only one other (equally broad
and hard to pin down) language that satisfies this: Forth.  In fact,
Forth goes further than Lisp; unlike Lisp, Forth has *no* innate syntax
at all.

(For those who care, I consider Scheme to be a dialect of Lisp.)

--
Samuel A. Falvo II