Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: Slavery???

From: Samium Gromoff
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: Slavery???
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:17:40 +0300

At Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:21:01 +0100,
Peter Conrad wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 03:48:44AM -0800, Tupshin Harper wrote:
> >
> > >That's what credit card companies do: they accept a certain amount of
> > >fraud,
> > >because if they don't the only remaining option is to shut down their
> > >businesses.
> >
> > If this is an attempt to further argue your point that most contracts
> > work well without enforcement, then it fails spectacularly. The simple
> > observation that any lender's risk management equation is fundamentally
> > affected by the level of fraud which in turn is directly affected by the
> > probability of enforcement blows the argument to pieces.
>
> "directly affected" does not mean that 0% enforcement implies 100% fraud.
> Therefore, my argument that contracts don't *require* the possibility of
> enforcement holds.

You are here discussing an economical plausibility of the
"contracts and enforcement" issue.

My perception was we were discussing ethical aspects of it.

Sidenote: i strongly believe that ethical but !obviously_economical
wins in the long term _economically_. you might even call me a
fanatic on this issue.

> Bye,
>       Peter
> --
> Peter Conrad                        Tel: +49 6102 / 80 99 072
> [ t]ivano Software GmbH             Fax: +49 6102 / 80 99 071
> Bahnhofstr. 18                      http://www.tivano.de/
> 63263 Neu-Isenburg
>
> Germany

regards, Samium Gromoff