[Gnu-arch-users] another poke at the special chars

From: Jani Monoses
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] another poke at the special chars
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:06:25 +0200

Hi all
on with the beating of the same hopefully still alive horse:
the '=' and '+' characters at start of filenames. No need to repeat the
issues with them for users of some shells and vi I'll just add that
more(1) and less(1) can't cope with files starting with + either.
Tom said he could agree with changing = to ~~. And I know others did not
How about keeping all the special names which help in categorizing files
but changing their names to start with a character that annoys less
less(1) . Although ~ and tab completion would show all in /home at least
here, what about ~= , ~+ where now was = and ++. Or any combination as
long as you can tell by the first two chars what special file that is
and it plays nice with other programs.

If such a change could ever happen it would better be before 1.1 IMHO.

Jani, newbie-nitpicker from hell I know, so don't answer if this would
be essence of your mail.