Re: [Gnu-arch-users] another poke at the special chars

From: Thomas Zander
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] another poke at the special chars
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:03:23 +0100

On Wednesday 26 November 2003 14:06, Jani Monoses wrote:
> Hi all
> on with the beating of the same hopefully still alive horse:
> the '=' and '+' characters at start of filenames. No need to repeat the
> issues with them for users of some shells and vi I'll just add that
> more(1) and less(1) can't cope with files starting with + either.
> Tom said he could agree with changing = to ~~. And I know others did not
> How about keeping all the special names which help in categorizing files
> but changing their names to start with a character that annoys less
> less(1) . Although ~ and tab completion would show all in /home at least
> here, what about ~= , ~+ where now was = and ++. Or any combination as
> long as you can tell by the first two chars what special file that is
> and it plays nice with other programs.
>
> If such a change could ever happen it would better be before 1.1 IMHO.
>
> Jani, newbie-nitpicker from hell I know, so don't answer if this would
> be essence of your mail.

What about a new feature on 'make-log' to pass the filename it should create
for you?
This under the premise that if you don't want to use these characters; you
don't have to.  Nobody is forcing you to put '++' in front of your
'PersonalTODO' file so it won't get committed.

In short; get over it.

--
Thomas Zander