Re: [Gnu-arch-users] SourceForge-like repositories in an arch-centric wo

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] SourceForge-like repositories in an arch-centric world
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 16:19:08 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Andy Tai <address@hidden>

    > [good points about hosting arch on systems such as
    >  savannah and gna.org]

There are lots of other good reasons too.

    > Maybe this can be a good point for both savannah and gna.org to
    > support Arch as an integrated part of their infrastructure?

It might be an interesting exercise to think about how one would
design a project host with arch in mind in the first place, rather
than how one would retrofit it into savannah.

For example, with arch, you'd probably want a different approach to
bug tracking.   You'd want a different approach to browsing.   In
addition to hosting a project's main archive, you'd want to think
about both archive cycling and mirroring the archives of
contributors.   You'd want to think about public key management.
You might want to provide a notifications service.   Perhaps a patch
queue manager.

If one wanted to make a really cool environment for project hosting
with arch, I'm not sure what parts of the existing savannah
infrastructure, if any, would be really helpful.