Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: SourceForge-like repositories in an arch-centri

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: SourceForge-like repositories in an arch-centric world
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 18:09:38 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>

    > > If one wanted to make a really cool environment for project hosting
    > > with arch, I'm not sure what parts of the existing savannah
    > > infrastructure, if any, would be really helpful.

    > Disk space.  :-)

    > To be honest, I'm not sure how much of the `savannah infrastructure' is
    > really all that useful for CVS users either!  IOW, many of the problems
    > with savannah (/sourceforge/&c) are pretty fundamental, not just arch
    > vs. CVS issues...

Right.   Back in the day, sourceforge was a big shiny new thing in a
context of perceived endless horizons.  In some ways, the descendent
savannah (founded partly in _political_ reaction to some of the
legalities of sourceforge) feels to me as a user like a (kina)
functioning prototype that sketches the idea of what a project host
_might_ want to offer.

It only adds insult to injury when mailing lists seize up, the bug
tracker can be sanely configured and is horrible to use, I have to
wade through N-different levels of interface to get to anything
useful, etc. etc.

But I didn't mention the idea just to vent about savannah:

Jblack has his mirror host.

Asuffield is rumoured to be making progress on the bug tools.

Walters' new protocol work has interesting possibilities.  And then
there's pqm, if you believe in that sort of thing.

Tez and Alexander's browsers chug along.....

That's comparable to the situation that existed just before
sourceforge was written in the first place.

I think it's interesting to ask whether there isn't a much simpler,
more robust, more flexible, more extensible infrastructure possible --
perhaps putting some of those pieces together.

You know -- we can just pretend the 1990s never happened.