Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Increasing the filename space (Or: begging for trou

From: Johannes Berg
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Increasing the filename space (Or: begging for trouble?)
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 18:02:19 +0100

> Ugh. TLA has logs as files, not data. So if the log file is written in
> ISO-8859-2, TLA should not rewrite the file as UTF-8.

Thats what I'm saying though. If TLA keeps everything 7-bit clean, then you
can use whatever you want in the log yourself.

> Perhaps make-log should supply a Content-encoding header based on the
> local character encoding?

I thought about that too -- but still doesn't help, I have my locale set to
ISO-8859-15 and still edit files in UTF-8 sometimes... :)

> Or do we attempt to detect and reject files that aren't utf-8/ascii?

Thats likely to be impossible.

IMHO the only sensible way to handle this problem is not to handle it at
all, keep TLA internals inside the logs (filenames and headers that tla
uses) 7-bit clean, and let the user/policy decide what they do.

A Content-Encoding header could be very useful for arch-browsers though.

johannes