Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Auto-registration

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Auto-registration
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 23:10:03 +1100

On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 11:07, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:
> >
> The idea that that "aba get
> address@hidden/tlasrc--local--1.2" will always work
> as long as there's a copy online somewhere is appealing to me.

Whilst I don't want that magic functionality.... I've nothing against
it. IMO it'd be better for
aba auto-register foobar && tla get foobar
or even
tla get $(aba auto-register
address@hidden/tlasrc--local--1.2)
to stay working though...

as that way the rhs in the first example, or the lhs for the second
example can be switched for tla grab, config-manager build etc etc etc.

Note that asuffield wrote a similar archive location script.

> >Urk. Both configs and grab files are orthogonal to the management of
> >source in an archive.
> >
> In other words, actually locating and registering the archive is
> orthagonal to retrieving source from it?  I suppose so.

Thats not quite what I was saying, although it definately true. What I
was saying is that grab (translate a url to a fqdp) and config (list a
series of partially qualified dev paths + disk relative paths) files are
not related at all to the manner in which a dev path is translated to a
physical location.

Rob