Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Newbie -- setting up project with sub-trees

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Newbie -- setting up project with sub-trees
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 22:02:11 -0500

In arch, we have something called configuration files. A configuration
file looks something like this:

This is a master config used to get the main parts of the
project:
#-  ------------
./docs                  project--docs
./src                   project-trunk--dev--1.0
./src/GUI/Gnome         project-gui-gtk--dev--1.0
./src/GUI/Qt            project-gui-qt--dev--1.0--patch-23
./src/GUI/Ncurses       project-gui-curses--dev--1.0
./plugins               project-plugins--dev
#-  ------------

#The plugin framework

#-  ------------
./plugins/loudsound              project--plugin-loudsound
./plugins/mp3                    project--plugin-mp3
./plugins/ogg                    project--plugin-ogg
#-  ------------

The idea behind these config files is that you run "tla buildcfg (config
file", and tla will get the latest revision for the latest version on
the right, and put it into the directory on the left.

For example, lets say you're the ogg plugin developer. Rather than
"checking out" everything just to do some work, you can keep your own
custom config file in ~/configs which looks like this:

~/configs/getogg
./src                   project--dev
./src/GUI/gtk           project-gui-gtk--dev
./src/plugins/ogg       project-plugin-ogg--dev

You would use this by running:

$ tla buildcfg ~/getogg

I hope this helps.

James