Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Why we might use subversion instead of arch.

From: Pierce T . Wetter III
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Why we might use subversion instead of arch.
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:01:57 -0700

On Feb 20, 2004, at 4:50 PM, Miles Bader wrote:

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 12:41:05PM -0700, Pierce T. Wetter III wrote:
 Arch lets me cache if I understand correctly. My objection is more
philosophical:

  The build source should match some set of files on the repository.

(pretend you don't trust patch. In that case, you'd really like a snapshot
of HEAD to always be stored somewhere...)

Heh, I think you've got this exactly backwards: it's subversion that should make you very nervous as it stores everything in a giant opaque binary blob;
if something goes wrong, you'd better cross your fingers.

 You're right, that's one of the minuses of subversion.

 Really, we haven't made any decision because:

1. I would never use branches, but would use the arch features. So I see no reason to
switch if its to svn.

2. Mike would use branches, would use the arch features, but is even farther
behind me in grokking arch, whereas svn would be easy to move to.

Neither svn or arch have a GUI tool we can easily use on Mac OS X Cocoa that compares to CVL.

So we're still in the "CVS sucks, but does it suck enough to be worth switching" state.

Hence the "might use subversion" above. We might just stick with CVS until tla 1.4 :-)

 Pierce