Re: [Gnu-arch-users] What is arch? (Alternative answer)

From: Pierce T . Wetter III
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] What is arch? (Alternative answer)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:29:33 -0700

On Feb 24, 2004, at 10:18 AM, Robert Anderson wrote:

Pierce T. Wetter III wrote:

This is less true in arch, because arch assumes a model much closer to a spiderweb then a tree.

Don't like it at all. "Yuck. I don't need a spiderweb. That's messy and ugly." I'm also not sure that there's anything true about it.

Do you have an alternative metaphor? It's true its not strictly a spiderweb (since it can only merge from common ancestors), but its much less a tree...

I suppose that arch has a "detour" model instead of a "tree model", in that it assumes that while code may wander off for a bit, it will eventually come back. Most revision systems don't assume that, so their merging sucks.

 Pierce

 P.S.

  I _like_ spiderwebs. They look cool. :-) YMMV.