Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Tutorial Question

From: Pierce T . Wetter III
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Tutorial Question
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:42:54 -0700

On Feb 24, 2004, at 8:58 PM, Robert Anderson wrote:

Pierce T. Wetter III wrote:

 So it seems like using a person's name as a branch label would be bad
practice.

Probably the real reason though is that I tend to "branch" only when I need to collaborate with another developer, so they wouldn't be "my" changes.

 Pierce

If you're trying to find the "one true way" to organize and name branches, stop right there. It doesn't exist. The branch per developer idiom has been in common use since about day 1 of arch release. Other ways can work as well. People will find uses for them that neither you or I could possibly think of. It's just a component of a name. Nothing more.

No, I'm trying to find the "one true way" to name branches for the tutorial. I realize that different people will name branches differently. I got confused when the branch was named the same as the new archive.

The above quote is just a comment on what I think would be best in general.

 Pierce