Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Renaming some tla commands (user interface)

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Renaming some tla commands (user interface)
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 18:35:53 -0500

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 06:58:19AM +0000, David A. Wheeler wrote:
> add
> rm     (removes the file AND id)
> rm-id  (removes JUST the id (i.e., removes it from the inventory))
> mv     (move file(s)/dir AND id)
> mv-id  (move JUST id)

No, I think your suggested changes are bad.  There's a good reason for the
existing commands having slightly different names: the semantics are
_different_, even beyond just the `id' `id + file' difference.

`rm' is called `rm' because it behaves the same way (in many respects) as
the unix /bin/rm command, where as `delete-id' (aka delete) does not.
Similarly for `mv', /bin/mv, and `move-id' (aka move).

If confusion is actually a big problem (I have no idea, I've never heard any
reports of it), I'd suggest just getting rid of the `delete' and `move'
aliases and telling people to use `delete-id' and `move-id' -- the
presumption (whose accuracy I'm also unsure of) being that most people will
probably either use `rm' and `mv', or some external tool to do this.

> Comments?  Sound okay?

No.

Sorry.

-Miles
--
A zen-buddhist walked into a pizza shop and
said, "Make me one with everything."