Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Caching

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Caching
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:52:20 -0500

Stefan Monnier wrote:

Ha!  Good point.  I didn't know about that one.  Sadly it only keeps the
patch corresponding to the revision, so the patch can never be used to
forward-build a missing revision.  Are those patches ever used by tla?

No, they're not. Tom says some add-on tools use 'em. I think they should be removed, and we should cache patches properly somewhere else.

Will they be used by the upcoming backward-build stuff?

Not worth it. If you have a revlib for patch-16, all it gets you is the ability to build patch-15. The win isn't worth the work or messing up the code.

How about keeping
patch-15 when greedily adding revision patch-16 (built from rev patch-14) to
a sparse revlib?

Using archives to store the cache instead would avoid messing up the architecture. Well, I suppose you could devise an "archive" whose underlying implementation was a revlib.

Aaron
--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Information Technology