Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU Arch review - am I accurate?

From: Robin Green
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU Arch review - am I accurate?
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 22:59:32 +0000

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 10:37:13AM -0500, Adrian Irving-Beer wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 07:07:09AM +0000, David A. Wheeler wrote:
> > * Is it even slightly plausible to change the default
> >   filename/tagname conventions so arch will
> >   work more easily with common tools (e.g., vi/vim, more, csh,
> >   bash, Windows (it doesn't handle long names well))?
> >   Conventions are so arbitrary, yet the ones arch uses
> >   seem designed to cause unnecessary problems.

I am working on something called archfs, an arch-specific filesystem,
based on FUSE (which is only for Linux). It will be potentially able
to deal with such issues without modifying arch. I don't much care about
them personally, but it will be a foundation for someone who can be
bothered to do it, perhaps me, perhaps someone else. The main purpose
of archfs will be to handle hardlinked file modification and file
moving/renaming reliably, whatever tools you use to do those things.

However, you will still have to run tla (except small things like tla
make-log) against the "real" filesystem, so any messages output by tla
will use the "real" filenames.

--
Robin