[Gnu-arch-users] Wine considering using arch for developement

From: James Blackwell
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Wine considering using arch for developement
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 02:53:33 -0500

This comes from 'http://www.kerneltraffic.org/wine/latest.html'

2. Investigating Arch for Revision Control 17 Mar  (5 posts)
Archive Link: "Branching/version control [was Re: cards.dll]"
Topics: Project Management People: Mike Hearn, Dimitrie Paun,
Greg Turner,

This topic came up on IRC so I was quite happy when Mike Hearn
mentioned it on the wine-devel list as well. There has been a
bit of discussion about moving from CVS to another revision
control program. CVS has definitely served it's use over
the years, but moving to something else may provide enough
benefits to offset the change. Mike briefly summarized what
he was considering:

    Perhaps Wine should start considering a kernel-like approach
    with some developers having their own trees where some
    experimental patches are tried out first then percolate
    up to Alexandres tree?

    Another thing I'd really like to see is a move to GNU
    arch version control - it makes distributed development
    and branching a *lot* easier. I talked to Alexandre a bit
    about this at WineConf, and he mentioned on IRC that when
    arch is supported by emacs he'd think about it. Well,
    I now see on arch-user that there is such support, and
    the arch tools are maturing rapidly (see zoomarch etc).

    It might be worth doing an experiment on using arch for
    Wine development.

    Maybe if I get some time this holiday I'll try reviving my
    program to parse CVS commit messages back into filesystem
    operations and begin keeping an arch archive in sync with
    CVS so people can try it out. The last time I tried it I
    found turning commit messages into FS ops reliably was
    a pain in the ass, but I'm better at shell scripting
    these days.

    I already parse commit messages in realtime for CIA (our
    irc commits bot) so I could easily extend this and put
    the results on navi.

    What do people think?

The emacs tool that Alexandre prefers is pcl-cvs. It's a
front-end to CVS that allows many things to be performed as a
single keystroke. Dimi cautioned against switching to a system
people are less familiar with:

    arch sure sounds interesting (except for the file naming
    conventions :)), but before we can consider switching we
    *must* have infrastructure available that's comparable to
    the CVS one. And here I mean:
      + cvsweb: for web browsing + cvsup: for fast synch +
      patch: for the winehq-cvs messages

    Given that repositories are just files on FTP servers,
    maybe cvsup is not needed, but the patch facility we have
    is a must.

    When all that is in place, we may consider looking into it,
    to see if the switch is worth the pain. Please remember
    that virtually everybody knows CVS, whereas almost no one
    knows arch, so for new (and existing developers) it's a
    big pain to switch. So we must have some pretty important
    reasons to go down this path, and "arch is a cool concept"
    does not qualify :)

This led Mike to put together a really nice list of things that
arch could for Wine and how development could be improved. Some
of the tools Dimi wanted replacements for already exist:

      + ArchZoom: http://migo.sixbit.org/software/archzoom/
      + ViewArch: http://arch.bluegate.org/cgi-bin/viewarch.cgi

    (and concerning cvsup...) Arch already has this built in,
    effectively. Arch works in a fundamentally different way
    to CVS - it's based on applying changesets in order rather
    than keeping track of HEAD and working backwards.

    ie running tla get wine or whatever actually downloads
    the first checkin then all the patches and applies them
    in turn. Obviously that's too slow for most projects so
    you can stow cached revisions (ie tree snapshots) along
    the way so it only downloads the last revision then works
    from there.  That only occurs on initial checkout of course.

    Arch works with changesets natively, so you can run the
    relevant command with the patch ID to get this sort of
    output at any time.

    While everyone knows CVS the subset of commands we all
    use is tiny, mostly because only Alexandre commits. In
    fact I'd guess 99% of CVS usage on wine is:
      + cvs update + cvs diff + cvs log/status

    The equivalents in arch are:
      + tla update OR tla replay (difference explained below)
      + tla file-diffs

    There is no equivalent for file-based log/status AFAIK
    as arch doesn't track files individually like CVS
    does. The upside is that arch understands things like
    file renames/moves/symlinks.

    OK, so why should we use arch?

    Wine is a project that operates similar to the Linux
    kernel. There is a benign dictator, who controls CVS. We all
    grab CVS, hack in our own branches, separate the changes
    out into a patch and email it to wine-patches. Normally,
    if we got it right, Alexandre will check it in forming a
    logical changeset, and we then all run cvs update which
    downloads everyones changes.

    This works OK but has a number of disadvantages:

    No branches.
        Some Wine work would be best done in parallel to the
        main tree. For instance, the filesystem work, the WM
        rewrite etc. Wines current modus operandi makes this
        very hard, as effectively CVS HEAD must be at least
        dogfoodable at all times. This also makes it hard
        to do R&D projects like the shared memory wineserver
        while keeping the results of that R&D usable.
    Hard to work on locally
        Not every patch we write gets checked in, this is the
        reality of life working on Wine. Sometimes because those
        patches are incomplete or wrong, sometimes because they
        get forgotten or missed, sometimes because Alexandre
        doesn't agree that the code belongs in the main Wine
        tree (things like the system tray patch, delayed
        debug tracing patch etc spring to mind).  Over time, a
        particular checkout of wine will accumulate debugging
        cruft, random unchecked in patches and so on. I
        already have one tree I've practically abandoned for
        new development because the differential got so large
        (11,000+ lines). It gets hard to separate out individual
        changes into atomic patches, especially when patches
        depend on each other.  Yes you could say I should never
        have allowed the diff to get so large, and believe
        me I wish it hadn't happened, but in practice people
        still use and apply patches like systray/debug tracing
        and expect me (!) to maintain them, so I need to keep
        them around in some form. There are also patches in
        there that bounced pending extra work that I never got
        around to and so on.  Nowadays I simply use separate
        checkouts of CVS to try and manage it all.
    CVS is not changeset oriented.
        It's really hard to easily do regression checks because
        the closest CVS has to this is date based rewinds. We
        try and slap changesets on top using patch.py, which
        works well, but CVS is not naturally inclined towards
        it. Arch lets you say "rewind to this changeset" and
        it'll just do it. Binary searches become a lot simpler.
    Hard to get into The Zone
        Sometimes, some people or teams of people will have a
        mad coding session and produce a ton of patches. The
        Direct3D work by Jason, Raphael and Christian
        last year is one good example. My WineCfg work was
        another. Unfortunately our current model makes this a
        total pain in the ass because the patches are against
        CVS not your previous work. I ended up writing some
        scripts to help with this, by having two trees which
        I applied patches to in sequence then generated a
        diff against.  It was annoying. This is especially
        true if AJ bottlenecks - for instance during some of
        the D3D work he was on holiday.

    Why does arch work better?

    Arch is far from perfect, in particular it's rather
    quirky and has a ridiculously complex command line
    interface. However, it has one feature that is make or
    break : distributed branching/merging.

    In arch you can have a tree in an archive somewhere up on
    the net, and others can make a branch of it in their own
    archive and start checking in changes. They can remerge
    periodically and arch will just deal with problems like
    multiple remerges (in both directions). The owner of the
    original tree can merge the branch into their own when the
    time is right, or cherrypick changesets and just apply them.

    In other words, I could branch WineHQ, and make some
    changes, then you Dimi could branch *my* tree and make
    some changes yourself and so on.

    So how might Wine development look in a post-arch world?

    Here's one vision. See what you think.

    Alexandre of course remains the ultimate maintainer and
    dictator of Wine.  His tree is the canonical one which we
    all work from, and he does releases of his tree a la Linus.

    However, let's say I engage on a particular project (make
    WinFoo work).  Maybe I'm doing it for a customer, maybe
    I just want to make people in # winehq happy. I can grab
    WineHQ, branch it, and start committing. Along the way,
    I can submit each changeset back to wine-patches with
    a very simple script: arch will generate a whole-tree
    changeset with one command. When I next commit of course
    the diff will be reset to zero so I don't end up with bits
    of other patches interfering.

    Alternatively, if there are a lot of patches which depend
    on each other, Alexandre can pull the tree directly and
    use archs built in merging operations to synchronise the
    two. I can keep on working while this is going on by the
    way - AJ can merge with my tree as many times as he likes,
    and vice-versa.

    Let's say only 90% of the patches I write to make this
    app work get checked into WineHQ. Users who only care
    about this app are still happy as they can just "tla get
    mike_at_navi.cx--wine--winfoo" and grab a version of Wine
    that works for their app. The community is happy because
    the bulk of the patches got back to the main tree anyway.

    Let's say Jason, Raphael and Christian have another D3d
    codefest. The best way to work on this is for one of them to
    branch WineHQ and start work. The others branch this subtree
    *again* and begin work on their own trees. The temporary D3D
    "maintainer" merges with the other guys work, and so nobody
    bottlenecks on AJ or has to stop work for a few days while
    the patch queue clears so they can get clean diffs easily.

    The end result of that work can be then trivially merged
    back into WineHQ.  Alexandre can review the entire patch
    at once to get the zeitgeist of it, while still seeing the
    progression of the code if he wishes. Meanwhile the huge
    code churn doesn't impact others working on other parts
    of the codebase.

    It'd also make it practical for Wine to split into
    subprojects for really huge pieces of work. For instance,
    currently MikeM is hacking on MSI alone.  If he had the
    ability to setup a separate project for it, and invite
    others to begin work with him, it might be easier to get
    people involved. Once the work has matured the project can
    be terminated and we go back to the central peer-reviewed
    model.

    So, what do people think? There are tools to sync CVS and
    arch, I can set one up over the holidays (starting for
    me on saturday) so we can get a flavour of it, if there
    is interest.

Greg Turner uses it for other work and likes it:

    I'm using it at my new job and it's pretty dope imho. There
    are a few downsides, some already have been mentioned
    (those--horrible--names, for example). Others I have
    noticed:
      + Too many VC files & VC Files mixed in too liberally
      with your real
        source ("inventory" helps ameliorate this, but still...)
      + Not the best win32 support AFAIK + working in /x/y/z
      amazingly requires write permission at /x/y! stupid.  +
      horrible, confusing error messages + no fancy integration
      with your favorite GUI yet

    Despite the above and a few other nits, I really like
    it. Even those--damn--names start to get comfortable
    once your ring finger builds up the requisite strength &
    dexterity :)

Erik de Castro Lopo also had good things to say about it.
--
James Blackwell      Using I.T. to bring more             570-407-0488
Owner, Inframix      business to your business     http://inframix.com