Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Front page to wiki now modifiable again

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Front page to wiki now modifiable again
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:43:43 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Adrian Irving-Beer <address@hidden>

    > Does using the v2 license actually prevent any content from being used
    > in v2+ software?

We don't know yet.   If the goals of v3 can not be achieved in a
v2-compatible way, then yes, a v2-only license would have that
effect.

In fact, given the issues being contemplated for v3, it seems to me
almost certain that v3 will not be v2 compatible.   It will only be
v2+ compatible.  (Of course, you should ask a lawyer, not me, if you
want legal advice.)

It's much simpler for everyone to use source code freely if the public
licenses are always guaranteed to be compatible.  There is no
risk-free way to do that, that I see, but the FSF has an awefully good
track record at managing the GPL and, additionally, is legally
constrained to not screw up too badly by their status as a non-profit
public-interest corporation.   I'd suggest using v2+.