Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] Debian should move all GPL sw to non-free

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] Debian should move all GPL sw to non-free
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 15:07:45 +0100

On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 09:47:29PM -0800, Tom Lord wrote:
> [*] "I was mostly interested (in my notes) in constructing (or
>      disproving the existence of) a _positive_ theory of why the GFDL is
>      right"
>
>   I wound up concluding that GFDL is nearly exactly right _but_:
>
>   1) it has a few minor bugs (which aren't even on Debian's map)

Are there really? Or have you just not noticed us raising them? We've
raised a *lot* of issues about the GFDL.

>   2) the eye-on-the-prize perspective is to figure out how to make
>      a future GPL version and GFDL version which are compatible.
>      Conceptually trivial but, hey, _I'm_ not the one who gets to
>      consult with Mr. Moglen on writing it in such a way that it
>      sticks.

As an armchair lawyer, I don't think it's feasible. Although if
carefully written, a revision of the GFDL, partially applied (no
invariant sections or cover texts in this particular work) could be
GPL-compatible. Unless you count "weakening the GPL until it is
compatible with more things". And hey, that's how we get to "Can you
trust that the FSF won't make GPLv3 more permissive than we'd like?"

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |