Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Moving directories to a new branches tree-root (tre

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Moving directories to a new branches tree-root (tree root id?)
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 13:46:20 -0400

Ben Burns wrote:

Okay, so I understand that arch does not currently look at the tree-root at all. I will argue though that it should, as well as looking at parent directory id's.

That would mean you could never rename the tree root. This is unacceptable for me. I keep several copies of tla around in my home directory, each with a different name.

First of all, lets assume that bigtree is a largish project that someone else maintains that may contain a subproject (neatly stored in a directory) I am interested in. I may have no ability to influence the contents or development of bigtree, and we can assume that development just continues on that branch.

Okay, but why don't you use the whole of bigtree, and simply make changes to your subdir?

Here's what I cannot do:
I can NOT easily merge changesets from the bigtree into my subproject that contain files added to directories I have moved!! Directories and files end up in the (from my perspective) wrong directory. (original path in bigtree?).

When you move the subdirectory, you move its id, too. Files are added to the directory with a given id, not the directory with a given name. But the tree root is your frame of reference. You can't move something with respect to itself.

But that's beside the point; we're talking about the tree-root here, aren't we? You haven't made *all* your subdirectories tree-roots, have you?
(and by
extention, the tree-root id).

Is there any reason arch couldn't work this way?

No reason. Just make the "tree-root" a subdirectory instead. Add a symlink if you need to.

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology