Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Moving directories to a new branches tree-root (tre

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Moving directories to a new branches tree-root (tree root id?)
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 17:37:45 -0400

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 01:46:20PM -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> >Okay, so I understand that arch does not currently look at the tree-root
> >at all.  I will argue though that it should, as well as looking at parent
> >directory id's.
>
> That would mean you could never rename the tree root.  This is
> unacceptable for me.  I keep several copies of tla around in my home
> directory, each with a different name.

That's not how I interpreted what Ben said.

I though he was saying that arch should keep (or allow) an _id_ for the root,
and use that in renaming files within it.

E.g., to make a subdir `root', one might do:

   cd root
   mv subdir/* .
   tla move-id subdir .
   # [Or, if move-id doesn't work for some reason:
   #    tla add --id `tla id subdir` .
   # ]
   rm -rf subdir

Caveat: I have no idea how arch actually does the diff calculations for this
sort of thing.  One question comes to mind: what on earth happens to the
files _already_ present in the root when you do the above...?

-Miles
--
I'm beginning to think that life is just one long Yoko Ono album; no rhyme
or reason, just a lot of incoherent shrieks and then it's over.  --Ian Wolff