Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 17:50:08 +0200

On Wed, 2004-06-09 11:04:35 -0400, Michael Poole <address@hidden>
wrote in message <address@hidden>:
> Florian Weimer writes:
> >From that page:
> > The idea to automatically subject files to revision control, based
> > on regular expressions, is very hard to deal with for users. While
> > being an interesting experiment, it does not lead to increased
> > usability.
>
> What makes this hard to deal with?  I admit that I'm a programmer by

Quite some programmers expect explicit behavior. They put a file under
version control, or they don't... It's nice (at some times) to
automatically have .c files under control, but sometimes, just small
little test programs are placed into the source tree which aren't ment
to be put under version control:) (Though, it could be useful at some
time... -- that is, "shadow files" would be nice: anything reasonable is
versionally controlled, but only shows up after being approved to be
under control)

> > Changesets are tar files. They cannot be posted easily to a mailing
> > list for approval and commit; metadata tends to get lost.
>
> How so?  If you have the tar file, you can use show-changeset to get a
> summary of the changes or apply it to your tree.  I have not plumbed
> the details of some of the files and directories in a changeset, but
> most of them seem to be there for a reason.

Maybe some nice binding for mutt and/or vim would be nice here:)

> > Project trees should not abuse the file system as a database.
>
> I disagree rather strongly with this.  I *like* how arch is generally
> agnostic about its repository access mechanism.  It also makes it
> feasible to reconstruct the history or even commit changes if you only
> have access to the filesystem, rather than needing some additional
> tool to inspect or change a database with opaque structure.

Has anybody already ported arch to VMS?

MfG, JBG

--
   Jan-Benedict Glaw       address@hidden    . +49-172-7608481