Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 18:48:19 +0900

>>>>> "Florian" == Florian Weimer <address@hidden> writes:

    Florian> If you send tarballs to mailing lists

As long as I'm here, I may as well repeat myself:  MIME multipart.
To get Google indexing, you might have to be careful about choice of
media type.

    >> ReiserFS is designed to promote just these kinds of "abuse" --
    >> and the htree branch of ext3 isn't exactly slouchy
    >> either. There are filesystems built with performance in
    >> many-small-files configurations in mind; if this is, to you,
    >> such a pressing concern, you may wish to consider using one.

    Florian> You might copy some insults from asuffield, too, maybe
    Florian> the issue disappears after a while.

*chuckle*  Believe me, when Andrew heats up by even one deg. Celsius,
I get out my notebook.

But seriously, a (Unix) filesystem ain't nothing but a database,
optimized for a certain simple kind of hierarchical indexing of BLOB
data that computers are pretty good at and humans often find pretty
convenient.

What is it that you want your SCM database to do that the filesystem
schema is pessimized for?