[Gnu-arch-users] Re: allow write for others?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: allow write for others?
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:37:31 +0900

Nico Schottelius <address@hidden> writes:
> So if I understood you right that means:
>
>    1. tla is not a serving program

Right

>    2. publishing/rights management needs to be done via external tools

Right

>    3. allowing others to work with me will most likely need something
>       like acls on my filesystem

Um.  I think it depends.  There are lots of ways you could probably do
it, e.g., using sftp as your access method:

 (1) Make the archive group-writable and make sure all committers have a
     login on your system, and are a member of appropriate group (I think
     this requires some care with regard to umasks etc).

 (2) Establish a dedicated user-id (e.g. "arch-foo") for each shared
     archive (or for some set of shared archives), and let each committer
     put their own ssh public key in ~arch-foo/.authorized_keys.  You can
     establish the identity of committers via its patch-log ("Creator:")
     and gpg-signature.

 (3) Something with ACLs, I suppose probably with similar issues to (1).

Offhand, (2) seems simplest to me...

-Miles
--
Saa, shall we dance?  (from a dance-class advertisement)