Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GCC v. Arch address@hidden: Regressions on mainline

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GCC v. Arch address@hidden: Regressions on mainline]
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 11:02:45 -0400

On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 22:21 -0700, Tom Lord wrote:

> then your patch queue is rate limited by the greater of the commit
> time and the test time.   Test time for GCC will strongly dominate.

Yes, of course.

> But there's an upper bound on that commit rate and, for now anyway,
> I'm just pretending we know that the maximum commit rate for that loop
> is too low.

I'm not so sure that's a good assumption to make.  Testing is something
that is easily parallelizable not only on a multi-CPU machine, but among
a cluster of machines.  Given say 5 decent machines, each of which could
chew through the gcc test suite in say an hour, I think you could keep
up with gcc's changeset rate.

> That's not a bad thing to pretend.

It is an important case to consider - not everyone will have access to
clusters of machines.  But of course, those projects that don't are also
unlikely to have changeset rates and test suite runs comparable in
length to gcc's.

> Nevermind that they can be done in parallel -- just pushing around the
> bits is already going to get you in trouble.

How so?