Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GCC v. Arch address@hidden: Regressions on mainline

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GCC v. Arch address@hidden: Regressions on mainline]
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 19:54:48 -0400

            `\___________AKA an "Integration branch"
>        / \
>       A  B
>
> and then back again.   Nothing hard about that but makign it very
> trivial (so that users don't have run `archive-setup', for example)
> might be desirable.

There's one large problem with this (what I call a tree) process. I've
tried using this approach before in an "integration" branch, where:

     main:  address@hidden/tla--devo--1.1
A+B+...  :  address@hidden/tla--integration--1.2
A, B, ...:  address@hidden/tla--[various]--1.2

 1. All changes in A, B, etc were fed into A+B+...
 2. All changes main were fed into A+B+..., then from A+B+... into
    A, B, ...

This process works as intended exactly up until the moment that the
owner of "main" sidesteps A+B+... and starts cherry picking A, B, ...
directly. Then, the owner of the A+B+... branch is dumped straight into
patch hell.

>     > [Otherwise yes, running tests between every pair of revisions is
>     > stupid and wrong and useless - can we stop talking about it now
>     > please? :P]
>
> Yes.

Ok, after this email (at least since its not really test case related
anyways.) :)