Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Online book for usability

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Online book for usability
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 16:40:36 -0400

Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
That is the reason why untagged-source files are now "precious" instead
of "unrecognized". We may know that it is better to have
"untagged-source unrecognized" because it catches mistakes, but many
users just expect "untagged-source precious".

TL> That particular change to "precious" rather than "unrecognized" was
TL> probably a mistake.

Could people please explain whence that feeling that building in your
working tree is sinful?

That's not the same thing. I have untagged-source set as unrecognized, but I don't "make clean" before committing.

All you have to do is tell Arch that your non-source files are *non-source*, by writing some rules in your =arch-inventory. Once your output files aren't "source", they aren't "untagged-source" either, and so you can commit.

Aaron
--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology