Re: [Gnu-arch-users] in-tree builds [was: Online book for usability]

From: Juliusz Chroboczek
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] in-tree builds [was: Online book for usability]
Date: 25 Jun 2004 22:52:40 +0200

TL> I'm saying:  even if you want to get inventory to ignore in-tree
TL> build-products, changing `untagged-source' is _not_ the right way to
TL> do it.   It's too error prone.

Okay.  So what /is/ the right way to do it?

>> Out of tree builds?  How do you do that...

TL> Consider relying on GNU Make

That's unfortunately not an option.

(As far as I know, it is not even possible to write a portable
makefile that supports doing out-of-tree builds with GNU make and
in-tree builds with POSIX make.  I'd have to require all of my users
to install GNU or BSD make, or else write a shell script that builds
my project with no help from make.)

TL> consider relying on the auto* tools,

Tom... I'm trying to solve a problem, not to create new ones.

                                        Juliusz