[Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 10:41:59 +0900

Charles Duffy <address@hidden> writes:
>> I suspect that many of our users are intimidated by regexes, and
>> can barely handle *that*. What on earth are we going to do with the
>> political reprocussions of having to tell them that they'll have to
>> learn a new language just to configure an archive?
>
> Think "configuration file syntax" instead of "language", then. There's
> presumably no obligation to use "language features" rather than things
> one might consider generic "configuration file format" if one doesn't
> want to.

Seriously.  I don't think it will be suddenly necessary to write little
furth/whatever functions to do everything in tla, it will merely be
_possible_[*], and the defaults will be such that the average user
doesn't have to.

[*] Or not; it's always possible for furth to just be an internal
    implementation detail (like hackerlab)...

-Miles
--
`Suppose Korea goes to the World Cup final against Japan and wins,' Moon said.
`All the past could be forgiven.'   [NYT]