[Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] Limiting 'tla revisions' (was: Caching patch-logs

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] Limiting 'tla revisions' (was: Caching patch-logs)
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 19:43:58 +0000

Severity: wishlist

On 03 Jul 2004 13:32:51 +0200, Matthieu Moy wrote:

> For most tla operations displaying lists of revisions, using the
> options --summary, --author, --date make tla very slow because tla has
> to fetch the log file for each revision displayed, and this log file
> is often on a remote server.

True. It is impossibly slow with remote archives.

> I suggest a caching mechanisme for patch-log entries, like we already
> have revision libraries to cache working directories.

I have no strong opinion about caching using tla; storing 10,000 patch
logs on 'tla revisions --summary some-large-mainline-vsn' seems delicate.
Well, I have implemented generic caching with timeouts and size limit in
archzoom instead, and it works well. This is not to deny that having the
log library would be beneficial.

What I think should be done to spead up the revisions summary is adding
limits (ranges) to 'tla revisions':

  % tla revisions --include patch-100..patch-199

  % tla revisions --exclude base-0..patch-199 --summary

IMO, limits are more important than internal caching. You may implement
external caching, but you are stuck with tla fetching/reporting all
thousands of revisions every time.

Regards,
Mikhael.