Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] Caching mechanisme for patch-logs

From: Matthieu Moy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [BUG] Caching mechanisme for patch-logs
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 23:00:38 +0200

Mikhael Goikhman <address@hidden> writes:

>> I suggest a caching mechanisme for patch-log entries, like we already
>> have revision libraries to cache working directories.
>
> I have no strong opinion about caching using tla; storing 10,000 patch
> logs on 'tla revisions --summary some-large-mainline-vsn' seems delicate.

It may be delicate, but probably not more than revision libraries
already are. Furthermore, if you have the latest version of the
project in your revision library, you probably already have all those
log files in the {arch} directory of this revision. In that case, my
suggestion would just be to make hard links to those files in a place
where tla could find them quickly.

One more comment (I think I'm not the only one in this case): I have a
limited-size NFS working directory on a safe server (backed up & all),
and a very big amount of disk space on a local, unsafe, disk. Having a
big revision library in this disk is therefore not a big problem, and
at least, it's worth the benefit.

--
Matthieu