Re: [Gnu-arch-users] How to know which revision a changeset is refering

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] How to know which revision a changeset is refering to?
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 22:32:25 +0200

On Sun, Jul 04, 2004 at 16:08:43 -0400, Miles Bader wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 04, 2004 at 09:36:53PM +0200, Matthieu Moy wrote:
> > I was just wondering if there was a way to know, from a changeset
> > directory, which revision the changeset was computed from.
>
> A changeset just describes a change, it can be applied to any tree you
> want, and doesn't necessarily correspond to _any_ revision.

It does not necessarily correspond to a revision. But it might be good
to know when it does (because it will not be that uncommon).

> If you want to give users a hint as to a good place to apply it, I suggest
> just including the base revision in the changeset name you choose (i.e. the
> name of the changeset directory or the tar file you make from it).

It would actualy be very useful, if a changeset had it's base recorded.
But it would have to be standard and machine-parseable. Then it could be
used for 3-way merge tools.

> E.g.,
>
>    tla changes -o `tla logs -f | sed -e '$!d' -e
> 'address@hidden/@@'`.my-hacks.cset
>
> I usually don't bother though, as it rarely seems to matter all that much --
> I apply changeset where it's convenient to apply them, and if there are
> conflicts, I'd probably have to fix them anyway, regardless of whether the
> cset applied cleanly to some past revision or not.

And here we are! You need to know against what revision if you want to
use any advanced merge tool. Because you just can't get much more than
the reject if you don't have full text of the base version.

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>