[Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")

From: Daniel James
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 07:27:29 +0100

Colin Walters wrote:
On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 23:35 +0100, Daniel James wrote:

Colin Walters wrote:

The only other actual example of where you think Furth would be useful
in tla that I've gleaned from this thread is "project-specific" rules.
My answer to that is: "exec".  You have yet to rebut that.

For me, the answer is portability. I would want an archive to be usable on any platform, using only tla (or whatever client). This means an embedded language.

Guess what - Python (for example) is far more portable than tla.  You
think that somehow embedding an entirely new language in tla magically
makes it portable everywhere?

No, I don't. The problem is with 'exec', not Python. It would make it very easy to introduce something platform specific. Maybe you won't, but a lot of people aren't so careful. As you say, tla is not very portable at the moment, so why create more problems?

There was another point hidden in my mail, but it was almost invisible.
Sorry about that. I want to use *only* tla. I want my archives to be easily accessible on multiple platforms. Extra dependencies just introduce more hassle.

You can include lua with a program and hardly notice it. You will probably be able to say the same thing about Furth.

Daniel