Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch roadmap 1 (and "what's tom up to")
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 13:54:54 -0400

On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 07:27 +0100, Daniel James wrote:

> Extra dependencies just introduce more hassle.

This seems to be what you're really trying to say.  Now, I don't know
what kinds of projects you maintain in arch, but pretty much all of mine
have a huge number of other dependencies in order to simply build from
arch (not talking about actually running).  For example, gcc and make.
And stuff like the autotools (m4/sh, and notably perl).  I could write
my hooks in shell or Perl, and not add any dependencies at all.  Or I
could write them in Python, and just add one more that pretty much
everyone will have installed anyways (and that is already very portable,
quite pleasant to program in, and has a vast number of libraries).

> You can include lua with a program and hardly notice it. You will
> probably be able to say the same thing about Furth.

I am not concerned about size.  I am very concerned about Furth or any
other language as part of the arch protocol.  I'm also pretty concerned
about time amount of time being spent on Furth (for very little to no
gain) versus all the other things that need to be fixed in tla.