Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US

From: Frank T. Pohlmann
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 01:24:27 +0100 (BST)

>   How come whenever I read something from some
> university professor who
> doesn't have a clue, he's always a professor of
> "International
> Relations" or "Middle Eastern Studies"? It really
> bugs me that people
> in other countries always insist on reading our nut
> jobs instead of our
> more thoughtful writers.

Huh? And they are? I have rather bad news for you in
this regard. I happen to have done quite a bit of work
in Middle Eastern Studies and I keep in contact with
some of my old teachers. They tell me that it is
virtually impossible for them to cooperate with any of
those thoughtful writers in academia and the media
generally, since they are afraid of saying anything
critical or something that could be construed as
critical of the Bush junta. Also, cooperation with
foreign scholars or talking to foreign media is
frowned upon.

Those "thoughtful writers" have mostly been silenced.

Sure, there are plenty of more liberal-minded people
in the US and I try to read them. But they have no
influence I can perceive.

-frank

Messenger - sooooo many all-new ways to express yourself
http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com