Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:39:19 +0200

* Tom Lord:

>   ~ everyone agrees that we are a nation at war;  many agree that
>     during wartime, some suspension of normal rights is a necessity

Really?  Did invading Iraq change this feeling, or was it the same
before?

When there was a period of war rhetoric in Germany (this was when our
government claimed that the democratic foundations of our country were
at risk, and we had to send soldiers to Afghanistan in defense), I
planned to get a "we are not at war" t-shirt.  But the war rhetoric
died down too quickly.

In reality, the Afghanistan involvement probably is a necessary
tribute for gaining a permanent seat in the Security Council.