Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US

From: nadim
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 20:41:08 +0200

On Tuesday 20 July 2004 19:11, Pierce T.Wetter III wrote:
As always 5 zillion lines cut off, I've learned from Pierce that I should
only answers that which fits me. (just teasing you ;-) I appreciate you're
still around, make me feel important to get so many longwinded mails)

> >> said the prison torture cases are just a few individuals, I just
> >> pointed out that they came to light not because some crusading
> >> reporter
> >> uncovered them, but because the Army was prosecuting them.
> >
> > Wrong, the Army wasn't prosecuting anything, it was investigating
> > after complaints of soldiers. Only the pictures brought the whole
> > thing into movement and forced the Army to actually do something about
> > this.
>
>   I think we could both be right here. A criminal investigation is the
> first step
> in prosecution. Before the story broke:
>
>     1. The Brigadier General in charge of the prison and two other
> prisons had been
> relieved for cause. Its a big deal when you relieve a BG.
>     2. 17 soldiers had been suspended, including a battalion commander,
> and company
>        commander.
>     3. Charges are preferred against 6 more soldiers.
>     4. 6 letters of reprimand, 2 soldiers dishonorably discharged.
>     5. Proceedings begin against Ivan Frederick, which broke the story
> after one of
>        the other accused gave a CD of the photos to an MP.

So what's the result of all this? 10 suckers being charged for having
obeyed orders, rank degradation, post changing for a general or two? Are
you realy that blind? The net result is (IMVHO):

- All the arabs more or less hate you (if that wasn't the case before and
that's not because they are arabs but because your forein politcs suck big
time), Hmm by the way that's about 1 000 000 000 people.

- Europe is silently enjoying the fact that they were right, you are not
civilized (that's 500 000 000 other). England will (I hope) kick your
little dogs in the next elections (I'm very desapointed with english
people indeed ;-)

- China and is very happy to see how good you are at keeping human rights
abroad  while talking about their handling inside china (that must be
around 1 100 000 000 people - minus 80 000 000 muslims I counted in the
arabs (sorry arabs != muslims I know)

- Even soutrh africans living under appartheid think that they  have it
(now) better than you do (mandelas speech, etc ...) I don't know for the
rest of Africa but since you depleted them of their life force a few
hundred years ago , I guess they don't like you very much either. how many
are they? Hmm must check.

This is what you get because for the prison case only, add the rest of you
peacefull history (that would piss off a few south americans I guess) and
you get a nightmare vision.

When  will you start trying to get respect instead for showing your force
or the lack of it (not taking the prison scandal seriously enough (I was
not the least surprised), money corruption around the Irak war, the whole
Irak war, the non proof of bin ladden's  involvement in the 9/11 case (not
that it really matters, the guys is a dangerous lunatic anyhow),
Guantanomo bay, the ICJ rejection etc ...)

Happy voting, Nadim.

PS: Pierce could you make me a favor and choose one subject where you think
that the US is not doing the right thing and give us your opinion of how
and what should be done. It's too easy for me to point the things you
"obviously" want to miss. I'm actually more interested in what USians want
to do about it.