Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US

From: Pierce T . Wetter III
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [OT] facism gaining ground in US
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 13:58:18 -0700

Back to Rumsfeld. Let's not get into the if the US should or should not have gone to war if possible and just take the the situation on the economical side. 2 weeks ago, I read about scandals on how the "reconstruction" money
was not spend (Pierce please back me up with some links of yours, I'm
worthless at finding things on the net (it was on Gnews with links to major
american journals) and how one big company transporting oil TO irak had
already put 1 B$ in it's pocket (without going through the bidding process if I recall right). If I am not mistaken Rumsfeld had a job there not long ago.

As always in US politics, its not that easy a question to answer and you've gotten
things a bit scrambled.

The CPA (Coalition Provisional Authority) was run by the State Department, not the Department of War (Defense). So it has little to do with Rumsfeld and more to do with Powell. It's one of my critiques of Bush: He brought a typical overbloated US bureaucracy to Iraq, so that the chronically understaffed (never rose above 57% staffing) CPA was spending all its time on red tape instead. However, you have to realize that I'm criticizing Bush from the right, the left would rather make
an issue of the non-existent Halliburton issue.

Halliburton: There are only 3 large construction companies in the world that can do the sort of transnational construction that the US military needed in Iraq. They are Bechtel, Halliburton, and Slumberger (sp?). During the Clinton administration, the DOD put out a contract for supporting the military, which was put out for bid. Halliburton won that job as low bidder. When Bush went to war, the DOD just extended the existing contract, which is actually typical of how the government does things, because its a lot of paperwork to do the whole bid thing. Because Cheney (not Rumsfeld as you think) used to be CEO of Halliburton, this was looked on askance by some, but it is probably irrelevant, given Halliburton's role in all that which is really to interview and hire local subcontractors to do all the work. As a public company, their profits/losses are easily available on Yahoo, and they don't show any
large windfalls.

About the only thing anyone has been able to make stick is that Halliburton negotiated with a gasoline supplier to supply gasoline into Iraq for $1.50/gallon when the spot price was about $1, so they looked like idiots. Except 6 months later, the spot price is $2, so now they look like geniuses... Neither is true of course, if you want a guaranteed price, you have to pay more, and all the flak means that
now the US taxpayer is paying $2 instead of $1.50...

Some people have accused the CPA of spending less then 2% of the reconstruction money. I'd cut them a certain amount of slack because they were chronically understaffed, but again, its a little bit complicated because they awarded
contracts that they haven't paid out for yet so the 2% is probably too
low by quite a bit, but I couldn't find an accounting of how much was spent
anywhere, so who knows.

Its all a bit moot anyways, because all that money got turned over to the Iraqi provisional government, and while they'll probably be a bit less honest then the CPA (jobs for the boys!), they'll have 1/10th the bureaucracy to deal with. They're also quite likely to change the rules to allow non-coalition countries to compete, though they show no motivation to. From what I've heard from individual Iraqis, they see France and the UN as props for the evil Saddam regime, so giving them money is not on the table.

I think the reality is that the CPA did a tremendous job given that they only really had a year to do everything they list here:

http://www.cpa.gov/pressreleases/20040628_historic_review_cpa.doc

yet with the cards stacked against them by US contracting law and the fact that many of the things that people in developed countries take for granted didn't even exist in Iraq. Before the CPA could start making payments, it had to reform the banking system, before that could happen, they
had to reform the accounting system, before that...

None of that means that Rumsfeld is lining is pockets. At opensecrets.org, you can look up the $ connections of individual members of the administration,
here's Rumsfeld's page:

http://www.opensecrets.org/bush/cabinet/cabinet.rumsfeld.asp

However, as it points out:

"Rumsfeld has scrupulously avoided any direct dealings with defense companies, either serving on boards or purchasing stock, apparently to avoid the appearance of impropriety in case he was asked to fill a defense department post again."

I think Bob was purposely baiting you, because its easy to get you to spout all the standard anti-Bush rhetoric, but you don't actually know enough about what
you're talking about to back it up.

If I was you, I'd ask how it can be that you go to war with a country

Er, I'm the person who thinks we've been at war with them since 1990, which
I'd just thought I'd point out.

you
already devastated by 10 years of sanctions and still need to spend 1 B$ a week there. Now the money is comming OUT from your pocket and IN someone's pocket. I don't have the feeling the IN pocket is the peoples pocket. Am I
wrong?

Well, all the money is coming OUT of our pockets, and IN to someone's pockets, that's how money works, nadim. Today, I bought a hot dog, and the money came
OUT of my pocket, and IN to the hot dog vendors. Let's arrest him!

The real question is whether money has come out of OUR pockets and IN to someone's pockets _inappropriately_. Despite a lot of sound and fury, no one has been able to really prove that's happened. It sounds good on TV though to accuse Bush of sucking Halliburton's cock for Cheney, but you'll notice they never say that
in places they can be debated.

Is Halliburton making money off the war in Iraq? Yes. Its called capitalism. Did Bush invade Iraq so Halliburton could make money? No, that's just stupid, they're not making that much money off the deal. Revenues are not profits
for a general contractor, they're just a middleman.

Now, Rumsfeld pocket might not be getting fater but when his time as a war hawk is over, he'll need work again and I am very curious to see if he going to work for some charity association for war victimes (any side) or if he's going to get a job at one of his pal company who had a good time while you
were working double shifts to pay taxes.

 He'll probably go back to serving on the board of directors of various
public companies, which can pull in $50K/year per board for little work.

 However, that's typical for politicians of both parties. Sandy Berger
(the National Security Advisor under Clinton who is now under investigation for smuggling classified documents out of the national archives in his pants)
has his own consulting company for instance. Said consulting company has
done a lot of lobbying for China...

 Pierce