Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Request: include log in undo/redo

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Request: include log in undo/redo
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 09:43:30 -0400

Johannes Berg wrote:
I'd like tla undo/redo to include the log file I am working on.

I've started to appreciate writing logs as I write code, but that doesn't
work well with undo/redo, requiring manual interaction to set aside the
logfile and put the contents back after a quick undo, fix, commit, redo.

Hmm. Interesting observation, and not too bad an idea. But I think there
should just be hooks for undo and redo, and then you could implement
this locally (because I think having undo/redo touch anything thats
named ++* is wrong).

OTOH, you could simply use aba undo/redo and extend those to move the
log out of the way...

I agree. I think it would also be nice if undo (or "revert" in fai) worked on unrecognized files. I have .orig and .rej unrecognized, so here's what happens:
1. I aba merge the wrong thing and get conflicts
2. I revert the star-merge, and tla refuses
3. I use the hard-undo script to do "undo" and delete .orig/.rej files
4. I do rm $(tla make-log)

I'm not sure whether apply-changeset (redo) can produce an unrecognized or precious file, but I wouldn't be totally shocked if it could. And I'm already munging the changesets in "fai revert", so I can add files at the same time.

Aaron
--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology