Re: [Gnu-arch-users] archive fails to register

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] archive fails to register
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 08:16:55 +0000

On 02 Nov 2004 14:02:31 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Mikhael> This means, you did "tla my-default-archive
>     Mikhael> address@hidden" earlier.  Please never do
>     Mikhael> this, because address@hidden archives are reserved
>     Mikhael> to the owner of this email, i.e. to me.  Or at least I
>     Mikhael> hope so. :)
>
> ?  I hope you have your own authorization procedures in place, because
> otherwise you're vulnerable to accidents of completion, reuse of
> history, bugs in wrappers which keep track of archives in use, etc.
>
> What should happen is that if he tries to change your archive he gets
> an access denied error.

Not necessarily. This assumes he correctly registered my archive. And
this assumption is false, that was the whole point of the thread.

A user wanted to get a software. He incorrectly used my-default-archive
command to accomplish this, and specified archive name that does not
exist in reality. He actually registered several archives with my prefix
to point to his local file system. He substituted "/" and "--" in archive
names and version names freely and inserted several other typos.

I don't know what to suggest in this case other than "remove everything
you did, start over and please don't repeat these errors again".

Regards,
Mikhael.