Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Introducing a new version in my archive

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Introducing a new version in my archive
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 13:47:38 -0600

Ricardo Catalinas Jimenez wrote:
Hi everybody,

I'm learning how to use this fantastic program and I have read the
'arch Meets hello-world' manual.

So, let's go:

-I get the lastest version of the code 'hello-world':
tla get hello-world--mainline--0.1 hello

-I make some changes in the code and I want to put the new code in the
archive. But this time I don't want to make a patch, I want to create
a new version. So I want to create 'hello-world--mainline--0.2.
I tried with the command 'set-tree-version' but I recive the problem:

import: tree has no patch log for version
    tree: /home/th1nk3r/macrods/development/projects/hello
        version:
        address@hidden/hello-world--mainline--0.2

My question is, How can I do that? Because I don't know how to create
the patch log.

I've been looking in the documentation but I can't find the answer.
Could anybody give me any help?

Bye, thanks in advance.

I believe the steps to change into a new branch are:

tla tag -S $oldversion $newversion
tla sync-tree $newversion
tla set-tree-version $newversion

Some of the wrapper interfaces clean this up for you (aba branch-this).
The reason is that set-tree-version just sets what the project tree thinks it is. tag actually creates a branch for you to be on, and sync-tree brings you up-to-date against that branch.

The reason tla doesn't do all 3 steps is that there is another valid way of doing it (though I don't remember it), and the feeling was that tla should be building blocks, not necessarily all the glue as well.

John
=:->