[Gnu-arch-users] Fai Update: annotate, pylon

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Fai Update: annotate, pylon
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 08:44:00 -0500

Here's all the latest on Fai

Current dist revision:
address@hidden/fai--dist--0.2--patch-137
Current devel revision:
address@hidden/fai--devel--0--patch-340

Full annotate support
=====================
Fai can now annotate files.  For a long time, Fai has supported finding
the origin of a given line, but now it does full annotation, optionally including creator, date and summary. And while it previously used contents-matching as a good-enough solution, it now parses the patches and remaps line numbers to determine which diff altered a file.

Pylon
=====
I've split Fai into chunks, to support my work on Meld.  This means
there's a new library, intended as a supplement for PyArch.  It's called
Pylon because it's been "piled-on" to PyArch.  The UI agnostic code is
all in Fai, so if you're writing a Python Arch GUI, or maybe just a
commandline Arch ui like raw, you too can have full annotate support,
Changeset editing, merge ancestor selection and more.

Merge --update
==============
Following discussions with Miles Bader on the utility of "tla update" as
a merge command, I added tla's update ancestry approach to Fai.

Pretty commit logs
==================
Added some handy default Summary lines for merges.

After noting Tom's description of an acceptable patchlog, I realized
that I'd been spending considerable mental effort on finding succinct
summary lines, and leaving patchlog bodies blank.  This was because
log-for-merge doesn't show patchlog bodies.  So I changed default log
bodies for elog to a new style that includes the bodies of direct
merges.  This won't duplicate much data, but will make patchlog bodies
more relevent.

Cached archive support
======================
While Cached archives are still being designed, Fai now works well with
the current prototype.

Support for implicit tags
=========================
Add-id now supports implicit tags, because the tla tree uses them.

Replay
======
Fai now has a replay command, and it supports all current ways of
listing revisions in "fai revisions".  Additionally, it supports
--skip-conflicts, which will skip revisions that would cause conflicts
if applied.  This may be useful to people working with the tla tree.  It
also has a --patch-logs-only option.

Show-changeset
==============
Fai now has a show-changeset command, and it allows you to specify files
or revisions.  Its display uses the leading-letters output familiar from
'changes' or 'delta'.

Fill-library
============
Fai's fill-library command allows you to copy a revision library from
one filesystem to another, without library corruption.  (It's basically
an automated "library-add -L")

Command template
================
Fai now features a plug-in system for commands, so it makes sense to
have a default template to start from.

Archive registration
Fai now can submit user-entered archive locations to Gergely Nagy's
bonehunter archive registry.

Short prompts & titles
where possible, aliases are used to shorten version names in shell
prompts and title bars.