Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Archives vs. categories vs. versions

From: mlh
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Archives vs. categories vs. versions
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:56:11 +1100

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 02:08:52PM -0600, John A Meinel wrote:
>  [ .. ]
> Now, I might break things up into archives based on major project, so
> there would be a address@hidden, address@hidden,
> address@hidden (possibly postfixing these with -2004).

I think archive names are meant to be fairly application
independent; you record the app in the category name.

The naming of archives seems to more based on other considerations
such as your address@hidden (of course) representing a role you're
fulfilling (debian maintainer, private stuff, own hobby projects)
and the visibility (and perhaps license) of the code within,
plus a time marking when you began it, so:

        address@hidden
        address@hidden
        address@hidden
        address@hidden

etc..

For projects within a big organization you might have the
mainline trees in an archive named after the app, because
that's not going to change, but otherwise I suspect it just
hinders things.

Matt