[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Archives vs. categories vs. versions

From: John A Meinel
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Archives vs. categories vs. versions
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 23:17:21 -0600

Miles Bader wrote:
John A Meinel <address@hidden> writes:

As far as I know, it is solely for performance. The problem is that
after you get 200+ revisions into a single version, you start noticing
that some of the algorithms are O(N) (example, checking to see if you
have an old revision in your library when the lib is empty causes a
round trip for each revision, Cycling your archive breaks this check).

Hmmm, my emacs branch just hit 700 revisions (in this archive), and I
have no obvious problems in daily usage -- and I access it remotely over
a slow link!  However the "tag" command does seem to have some
bogosities with many revisions.

Anyway, even if this is a problem, I think bumping the version is pretty
much equivalent to changing your archive in this respect

-Miles

Change your revision library to an empty greedy sparse one, and then do a get. Even if there are cacherevs, it will scan for a long time looking to see if your revlib has an older version.

This may not affect *you're* day-to-day work, but trying to get stuff to work on win32/cygwin my revlibs need to be cleaned out periodically. If I was in a more stable situation I probably wouldn't have as many problems, though.

John
=:->