Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla changes / tla tree-lint

From: John A Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla changes / tla tree-lint
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:10:20 -0600

Anand Kumria wrote:
So,

I've just been working fairly heavily on a project and one of things that
constantly annoyed me during the process was how I'd do 'tla changes' but
it'd complain because 'tla tree-lint' wasn't satisfied.

This was because additional precious/backup files had been generated. I
tend to use 'tla changes' a lot as a means to see what I've done and to
determine if where I'm up to is a good commit point.

It'd be nice if there was a 'tla changes
--assume-files-which-tree-lint-would-barf-at-are-precious --diffs' or
similar option.

Cheers,
Anand

The problem with duplicated ids is that who is the 'true' file. If I originally have the files foo.c and bar.c, and then I move bar.c to baz.c and copy it to bar2.c, then modify both. When you do tla changes, who is the rightful child of bar.c. Because either one is valid.

tla changes works by generating a changeset (the thing you commit), and then printing the changes. You can't generate a changeset with conflicts.

Maybe there could be an option for "--ignore-conflicts" type of thing. It would show you the files that conflicted, but then continue to generate the diffs for other files.

I do agree that something like this could be useful. Having to clean up your tree just to double check what you did is a little bit of a pain.

John
=:->