Re: [Gnu-arch-users] How to recover from interrupted commit...

From: John Arbash Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] How to recover from interrupted commit...
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 09:57:35 -0600

Rjae Easton wrote:

As my first post to the list - please permit a quick
this-is-a-phenomenal-product (so you know where I stand). Now I
suspect we're all very busy so I will be succinct...

This morning a commit was interrupted. I do not know how to properly
and completely recover from this failed commit. Based on the details
below can someone recommend - or point to a published HOWTO - the
standard steps one should take after such an event.

[the details]
history: normal project operation over SFTP for 4 months (173 patches)
version: TLA 1.3
what happened:
$ cd archives/2004-DEV/research
$ nano -w `tla make-log`
$ nano -w ./build.properties
$ tla commit
(normal output e.g. stuff that's not source)
Password:
(some moments pass...then)
(a message regarding broken SFTP connection)

...subsequently I receive the "unable to acquire revision lock" from
any user trying to commit changes to the project (using any
connection, SFTP or otherwise).

The things I have tried:
1. removed ++revision... in root of project tree;
2. tla lock-revision -b...
3. tla lock-revision -u...
4. manually creating .../patch-174/++revision.../+content

I am looking for a repeatable process as I can see this happening
randomly (chaos) in the future. I appreciate any effort you spend
helping me on this.

It should just be a matter of tla lock-revision -b with the correct
patch-level.

Is this a publicly available archive so that we can see what the current
state is?

For me, when I try to commit to a hung archive I get:

$ tla commit -s "nothing"

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "John A Meinel <address@hidden>"
1024-bit DSA key, ID 848D0003, created 2004-02-24

Enter passphrase:
gpg: some signal caught ... exiting
Killed by signal 2.

address@hidden ~/dev/libzip]
$ tla commit -s "nothing"
arch_commit: unable to acquire revision lock (internal error in
archive-pfs.c(pfs_lock_revision))
   tree: /Users/jameinel/dev/libzip
   revision: address@hidden/libzip--dev-stdio--0.1--patch-4

And just doing
$ tla lock-revision -b
address@hidden/libzip--dev-stdio--0.1--patch-4

With just a copy of the "revision:" line fixes the archive.

You've done enough that I can't guarantee this will work, but it is the
general solution.
John
=:->

PS> My example would fail in baz, since if you exit the gpg signature,
it automatically unlocks the revision. At least as of 1.1 or something
like that. But since your case involves an ssh disconnect, I think it is
still valid.

Thanks.

--
Rjae Easton